Thursday, May 23, 2013

Maple Nutmeg Donuts

How is this the first time I am posting about donuts?!?!? I am a little angry with myself. I love donuts. You may have misunderstood me...

 I LOVE DONUTS!!!

Always have. Always will (I can't possibly know that but if the last 28 years are any indication then we are in for a long love affair....I'm ok with that) One of the greatest things I have discovered is that they don't have to be fried you can bake them and they are delicious and healthy! (ok well maybe not healthy, but healthier? yeah let's go with that!)

I have tried many recipes and the thing I love about the recipe I am going to share is that you can add anything to it to make the donut you want. It is a great basic buttermilk donut and every time I have made it (a few times....) it has been fantastic.  If you don't have a donut pan I highly recommend getting one, just so you can make these and be the envy of your friends :)

mapley glazey goodness...I wish had one right now.


Nutmeg Buttermilk Donuts
adapted from A Beautiful Mess

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup flour
3/4 sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt     
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (or any other spice or tea or cocoa or nothing at all, totally optional)
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Process

Preheat oven to 350F

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. In a medium bowl comine the oil, buttermilk, egg, white vinegar, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Fill greased donut pan 2/3 full and bake for 10-14mins (the is a large gap because mine are done after about 11 but I have a wacky oven).

Let them cool for a few moments in the pan and then transfer them to a wire rack to continue cooling.



Maple Glaze

*I have found that I like a thicker glaze on my donuts and so I amp up the powdered sugar to get the thickness and still have the flavor. Feel free to tone it down. Gradually mix it together and taster as you go.*

Ingredients
  
1-2 cups of powdered sugar
2 tablespoons of maple syrup (higher grade the better flavor but any will work)
1 tablespoon of milk
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Process

Combine all the ingredients together starting with 1 cup of sugar and add more sugar to get desired consistency (thick enough to stay on without getting too absorbed into donut).

Once optimum consistency is reached dip tops of donuts gently into glaze and replace back on wire rack (you may want to lay some parchment paper down because the glaze will drip). After all the donuts have been dipped spoon remaining glaze over the donuts



Eat immediately and enjoy; preferably with some coffee!         



 

No comments:

Post a Comment