Sunday, May 19, 2013

Coffee Cake....The Greatest Coffee Cake!!!

I don't know what happened but I let this get away from me for a little while. But I am back and with my favourite recipe for coffee cake.

Coffee? Great! Cake? Great! Coffee Cake? PERFECTION!!!

I have been experimenting with coffee cake for years but this is the best recipe I have found. If you have never explored The Pioneer Woman blog you are doing yourself a injustice because it is amazing!! This coffee cake recipe is the the best coffee cake ever (just like her title says) and just like Dee says "maybe it is the 3 sticks of butter!" This is the best tasting and easiest recipe; very few ingredients. The hardest part is whisking the egg whites stiff while you are using your mixer for other things BUT if I can do it, so can you :)

Here we go!!

 a perfect crunchy top with a soft center.


The Best Coffee Cake EVER
adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients
For the Cake:
1 1/2 sticks of butter (softened)
2 cups scant sugar
3 cups flour (sifted)
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cup whole milk**
3 whole egg whites (beaten until stiff)

For the Topping:
1 1/2 sticks of butter (softened)
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons  of cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of walnuts (or pecans what ever you've got around) (chopped)

**I didn't have whole milk so I added 2 tablespoons of melted butter to my 2% milk. Awesome substitute



Assembly

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside. Beat egg whites until stiff and set aside.

Cream butter and sugar. Add flour and milk alternately until combined; do not over mix. Fold in the beaten egg white with a rubber spatula. Spread in a well greased 9x13 (or larger) pan.

In a separate bowl, combine topping ingredients with a pastry cutter or hands until crumbly/mixed together. And sprinkle all over the top.

Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until no longer jiggly.


 yummy...yummy....


Enjoy with a cup of coffee; you won't be sorry!










No comments:

Post a Comment