Sunday, April 7, 2013

Scone Sunday

About once a month I bake pastries for the church I go to. I love to bake and this gives me a chance to try a few recipes and a lot of people and get some good feedback. Last month I baked some amazing donuts (I love donuts....they will most likely make a lot of appearances here at Honey Bee).

Today I made 4 different kinds of scones, but I only like 3 so those are the ones I am going to post here :) 2 are gluten and dairy free and 1 is full of gluten and dairy!


Meyer Lemon and Cranberry Scone
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen yeah I like her)

1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest (a little less than 2 lemons)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, but into bits
1 1/4 cups dried cranberries
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 400f and ling a baking sheet with parchment paper.

With a vegetable peeler remove the zest from the lemons and chop fine (this gives the most wonderful lemony goodness).

In a food processor pule flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, butter and zest until mixture resembles coarse meal and transfer to a large bowl. Add the cranberries to the flour mixture.

In a small bowl lightly beat egg and yolk and stir in cream. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until just combined.

On a well-floured surface with floured hands pat dough into a 1-inch-thick round and with 2-inch round cutter or the rim of a glass dipped in flour (like me) and cut out as many as possible, rerolling scraps as necessary. Arrange about 1 inch apart and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until pale gold mine only took about 12.

Cool on a cooling rack and enjoy



----------------------------

For the two gluten free recipes I am going to send you to my favourite gluten free site, Elana's Pantry.


 This delicious wonderfulness is a chocolate chip scone made with coconut flour.


These little yummies are cranberry orange scones made with almond flour. The only things I changed was I took out the white chocolate chips, I use honey instead of agave nectar, and I did dollops of dough to bake so they took less time. 





Enjoy with some coffee :)






No comments:

Post a Comment